x

My opinions are as biased and skewed as everyone else's; that's all right. That is what creates the spice of life. All posts of this blog are removed every October, and are then replaced with others until the next autumn blows clean the slate.

My Content Writing

Wednesday, July 15, 2020

To Her Last Breath

    My wife made a good run of it, but then was done. A month after the second anniversary of her yoga studio, the world shut down to acquiesce the COVID-19 virus. The government mandated "temporary" closure of her studio, along with every other business not deemed "essential."

     A damned shame, because her studio had just begun to take off: five teachers, twenty-one classes of various techniques―with plans to add more―and a membership that began to grow weekly.

     People in the area had begun to realize the benefits of yoga in their hectic, Silicon Valley lives. My wife was excited; her dream was coming true.

     Then... nope... the virus... doors closed... indefinitely.

     I continued to manage an office supply store. My work selling plastic crap that did not work long enough to invoke an extended warranty was deemed essential. Seven of us worked ten to twelve hours a day, while nine of my employees opted to use their accumulated sick and vacation time to remain at home until the end of the "Shelter-in-Place" (SIP) mandate issued by the State of California, and vehemently enforced by Santa Clara County, where my wife and I lived and worked... or rather, where she had once worked.

     The end of March, the mandate was extended to June. My wife made a decision: her studio could not last four months without income. She closed her studio permanently. We cried endlessly for several weeks.

     For awhile my wife wondered if she had closed prematurely, particularly when the State said it would do an early re-assessment of the restrictions on businesses. May 1st it did, though business owners were stunned by the restrictive restrictions that remained in place. Gym and yoga studios were not included in the re-assessment, were to remain closed until the next re-assessment the following month.

     For the next two weeks, my wife and I could not count on our four hands the number of yoga studios that closed their doors permanently. A husband and wife, who I knew, closed their gym and left town.

     June came, and "fitness" businesses were allowed to reopen, but only at a third their capacity. Once again, my wife and I could not keep track of all the yoga studios that decided to close permanently. The yoga studio owners group she belonged to online dwindled from thousands to hundreds.

     My wife and I felt sorry for how much it cost the other studio owners who thought they could hold out.

     By closing down when she did, my wife had saved herself a heavy financial loss.

     The yoga studios that remain open in California offer classes outside. It has cost them a ton to do so. Unfortunately, the smaller memberships they now experience will dwindle even more when the winds and rains of October and November remind people that yoga and working out ain't all that and a bag of chips when the temperature outside drops to 46 degrees Farenheit.

     Will the restrictions on yoga studios be fully lifted by then? My wife and I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment